Do Too Much December is HERE.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Moroccan Henna-- How Good Is It REALLY?-Product Review

I'm still learning about the different types of henna and frankly, I'm figuring out which hennas work for me. So far, I've done more reading than hennaing, because I'm not as adventurous as some people. I prefer to do a lot of research before jumping from henna to henna. After lurking hair forums and reading different henna blogs, I decided to deviate from Red Raj and try Moroccan henna.

Here's my disclaimer: Please note that I acquired the Moroccan henna for free. Henna Sooq gave me complimentary Moroccan henna, because there were issues with my order. I am very thankful to Khadijah, the owner for being so professional and generous. Nevertheless, despite the generous gift I am going to share my honest experience and opinion about this henna.

What makes Moroccan henna different? It has a pretty short dye release time compared to others-- 2 1/2 hrs. It makes a very smooth and creamy paste. When I mixed the henna I was quite surprised that the henna paste was so silky. Finally, Moroccan henna does not hold up well when frozen. Unlike other hennas, freezing Moroccan henna interferes with its dyeing ability.

What did I use to mix my Moroccan henna? I dumped about 100 mg of Moroccan henna into a bowl. I took a spoon and crushed any small lumps I saw. Then, I dumped in about 50 mg of Aloe Vera powder. I mixed them dry and made sure that the powders blended. I heated 13 oz of coconut milk on the stove until medium hot. Then, I poured the coconut milk over a hair tea. I let the hair tea steep in the coconut milk for about 30 minutes. Next, I removed the musslin bag (which contained the hair tea) and poured the coconut milk/hair tea mixture into the henna mixture. I slowly did this and mixed the henna with the coconut milk slowly. I added milk into the henna mixture stopping mixing, pouring, and mixing until I got a smooth paste similar to pudding.

Complimentary Carrot Shampoo Bar & Moroccan Henna from
HennaSooq.com


How do I allow the dye to release in the henna? After mixing all the ingredients I covered the bowl with the top and left it to sit on the counter for about 2 1/2 hrs.

How did I apply the Moroccan henna? I donned my free plastic gloves from Henna Sooq. I parted my hair into 4 sections (2 sections in the front and 2 in the back). I applied the paste on each section covering the hair. When I was done I used Saran Wrap and wrapped my hair tightly. I added my Turbie towel over it to create heat using my body heat. I left the henna on for about 6 hrs.

Did I add oils to my henna mix? No, I chose not to add oils to my henna mix this time, because I lightly oiled my scalp with organic coconut oil. If I was going to add oils then I would do it AFTER dye release. Doing so prior to dye release would result in some interference with the color deposit.

How did I rinse my hair? I bent over the tub and rinsed my hair thoroughly turning my head from side to side. The henna ran dark at first in the water. As the henna rinsed off thoroughly, I noticed that the water was lighter. As soon as the water ran clear, I added my shampoo bar. I rubbed Chagrin Valley Shampoo bar in a circular motion on my crown creating a nice foam. I gently massaged my crown, then rinsed my hair thoroughly. Next, I added NaturelleGrow Coconut Cleansing Cream Conditioner into sections of my hair. I left it in my hair for about 3 minutes and then, I rinsed it out. Finally, I applied the Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends deep conditioner. I wrapped my hair up with plastic and left it in my hair for 20 minutes. After rinsing out the deep conditioner I was truly tired and just put leave-in conditioner in my hair, did some loose twists, and went to bed.

How does my hair feel? My hair is incredibly soft and conditioned. My curls feel very smooth and there is no issues with dryness. I knew that using coconut milk would give me the moisture to combat dryness issues that are normally associated with henna. I couldn't stop touching my hair. The curls are slightly looser, but it doesn't concern me. My hair is weird in the sense that it loosens and then tightly curls back up. My curls are springy and shiny. The back which has a tighter curl pattern feels a little like softened wool. I need to stop touching my hair.

My curls after using the Moroccan henna.


How do I feel about Moroccan henna? After my hair dried I was quite disappointed. The effect was very blah and the color did not pop the way it does with Red Raj. My gray hairs were like a dark orange, which I did not like. I did see some darkening in two days, but it was just bland. Red Raj is like my true love. I feel like I was cheating on it with Moroccan henna.

What is the bottom line? I'm glad that I did order a box of Red Raj henna, because I will be doing another henna next week with Red Raj. I need a pop of color and I need it now!!!  Also, the Moroccan henna did not color all of my gray. I have one gray hair in the very front that is still gray after using Moroccan henna. Unbelievable!!! I don't want to overdo it, but I want my hair to be in tip top shape. My color has to compliment my skin tones. Moroccan has orange hues and that definitely does not go well with my red undertones in my skin.

My opinion is that Moroccan henna is best suited for people who aren't looking for a strong red or those who want to use it as a base to use indigo for a brown color. It offers great conditioning and strengthening benefits. I loved how creamy the henna mixture was and it went on my hair smoothly. However, dear Moroccan henna is just not my cup of tea!!!

For more information on Moroccan heanna or to check out other henna powders visit Henna Sooq

To order Naturelle Grow conditioners visit NaturelleGrow

Dear Readers, are you a henna head? Which henna(s) do you love to use? What are your favorite liquids for mixing? 




4 comments:

  1. Do you henna on wet or dry hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foxxy, I usually shampoo my hair a couple days before I henna. I try not to use any heavy products, so that my hair is clean and ready for optimal color uptake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldnt live the Morocooan hanna more then 2 h ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldnt live the Morocooan hanna more then 2 h ...

    ReplyDelete