Do Too Much December is HERE.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Henna Shampoo Bar: HIT or MISS?

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE Chagrin Valley shampoo bars! When I saw that Ms. Ida (creator of CV Soap and Salve) decided to make Henna shampoo bars, I literally squealed with delight. Yep, I love her products that much! So, I scrolled down the page and I saw that the henna bars come in three assortments: chestnut, auburn, and strawberry. I figured that since I was curious about henna, then what better way then to try a shampoo bar. Through some research I learned that henna is a natural dye. I was intrigued by the concept of putting henna in a shampoo bar. I wondered if the shampoo bar would have the same effect as actual henna.

Since I could hardly wait to order these shampoo bars, I ordered them on the date they were available,Friday,
January 4,2013. The service is excellent and my order arrived on Wednesday, January 9th. I could smell the herbal scent of my order even before opening the package! The shampoo bars come in a small paper bag with a neat label on the front stating the name and ingredients. The ingredients are saponified oils of babassu, sunflower, coconut, castor, organic palm, water, organically grown henna; organic coconut milk, indigo; organic black walnut hulls; cloves; and rosemary oil extract.

I took the bar out and I noticed that it was about the same color and consistency as the Cafe Moreno bar but it was a little darker. I sniffed it and the herbal scent was very light. I began to cut a strip of the bar, so that I could efficiently save it. It is common knowledge that the best way to use a shampoo bar is to cut it and store the rest for later use.

1st Trial: Wednesday, January 9th
I prepooed/ deep conditioned with Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow & Strengthen Treatment Masque. While smoothing it down I detangled my hair and twisted it into about 6 loose twists. Then, I let it sit in my hair for about 30 min. Next, I hopped in the shower rinsing it thoroughly from my hair. After all traces of my prepoo were gone, I took the Henna shampoo bar and rubbed it clockwise on my crown of my head. Bubbles burst forth instantly and I massaged my scalp. Per the Chagrin Valley website advice, I left the Henna shampoo bar lather on my head for several minutes. Finally, I rinsed my hair then used the Butter conditioner bar. Rinsed and added my TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner (mixed with aloe vera juice, Jamaican Black Castor oil, and grapeseed oil).

Please note: I noticed that my hair felt VERY soft after rinsing out the Henna shampoo lather. With ingredients such as organic henna, hibiscus, and coconut milk, it is no wonder my hair felt like silk. Also, I noticed that my curls were drooping slightly. I began to wonder if it was the henna, because someone (I can't remember who) mentioned that it might loosened the curl pattern. Once my hair dried (a la white t-shirt turban style), I felt VERY soft hair.

2nd Trial: Sunday, January 13th
I decided to prepoo with TRESemme Luxurious Moisture mixed with Jamaican Black Castor oil and grapeseed oil. I detangled and put my hair into about 6 large twists. I let the mixture stay on my hair for about 30 minutes then I hopped into the shower to rinse it out. Next, I rubbed the henna chestnut shampoo bar clockwise on my head several times. My hair ended up with more lather on my head this time. I let the henna lather stay on my head for several (maybe about 10 minutes) then I rinsed it out. My hair felt clean but not squeaky clean like the first time. This time instead of using the butter conditioner bar and then the rinse out conditioner, I went straight to the rinse out conditioner. I used Yes to Blueberries Healthy Hair Repair conditioner. I was able to easily detangle and my hair felt very soft and moisturized. It seems as though my curls are slightly looser but they still apprar to look like little spirals the size of coffee stirrers.

My final verdict? I absolutely LOVE the new Chagrin Valley henna bar. Although it is too early to tell if it will highlight my hair, I can say that it works well to cleanse and soften my hair. Detangling was almost as easy as when I use my beloved Babassu Marshmallow shampoo bar by Chagrin Valley. Since using the bar, I have not had itchy scalp. That's a great bonus! The only other CV bar that helps me specifically ward off the itchies is the Cafe Moreno bar, so I'm definitely a new fan of this Henna Chestnut bar.

I plan to use the henna shampoo bar in my rotation. Currently, I rotate the use of the following shampoo bars: babassu marshmallow, neem & tea tree hair/body bar, cafe moreno, olive babassu, and butter conditioner bar. Shampoo bar rotations are based on the condition of my scalp and hair for that particular week. I plan to give a more detailed description of how to rotate shampoo bars in an upcoming post. Also, I purchased Chagrin Valley Rosemary Mint and Coconut Milk shampoo bars. I will post detailed reviews once I use them.

For more information or to order Chagrin Valley shampoo bars please visit http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

Are you a shampoo bar user? If so, which shampoo bars do you enjoy? If not, then share which shampoos you use to highlight your natural color.

10 comments:

  1. I just started back using shampoo bars. So far, my scalp feels clean and my hair is really soft and moisturized. I'm going to revisit my CV bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Braelynn!! Yes, shampoo bars are awesome. I love how the CV shampoo bars make my scalp and hair feel too. I plan on stocking up on more henna shampoo bars. They make my hair feel so soft!!!

      Delete
  2. If you are looking for healthy, shiny, strong and long hairs and the artificial hair care products doesn't suit you, It is time to try the natural henna.

    henna for hair color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting! I'm actually going to become a henna head. I've ordered from a wonderful company called HennaSooq! Stay tuned for my posts about my experience.

      Delete
  3. hello :) how's are the results of the henna bar so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I still use the henna bar, but I rotate it with my other Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. In fact, there is an article on my blog called "Rotating Shampoo Bars for Effectiveness". I use my poo bars according to my hair's needs. With that said, I just used the henna bar last week and it consistently performs well. My hair is soft, detangled, and my curls are quite nice.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the article! Sounds like you have been getting great results from the henna bar! The natural shampoo that I use has really given me shine and volume that I have never had before! I'm glad you are also seeing results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the henna shampoo bar. Bcause my hair is so fine and I have hard water, it works best for me to add pieces of it to my Shea shampoo. It slowly colors my grays to a golden red brown and deepens the rest of my hair. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this post. Really helpful. If you are looking for Shampoo Bars Australia, visit the mentioned link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! Scalp Sores Shampoo

    ReplyDelete