Do Too Much December is HERE.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Best & Worst Hair Practices of 2012

Every year we look back on the year's past and think back to the good, the bad, and the ugly. In this post I will share my opinion on some of my best and worst hair practices of the past year. Maybe you can relate to having those mountain moments and pitfalls. Lessons can be learned from our best and less than stellar times. It is in our mistakes that we can pinpoint the issues and work towards a better resolution.

THE WORST HAIR PRACTICES OF 2012
1. Cleansing my hair with shampoo always took my hair through trauma. Even the most gentle shampoos would cleanse my hair but then I'd end up using A LOT of conditioners to moisturize.

2. Finger detangling was all fine and dandy UNTIL I saw that parts of my hair were wrapping itself around other parts causing more tangles. Also, finger detangling on my tight curls is a pain in the butt. I don't have all day to do my hair.

3. Heat styling is not damaging to my hair but I feel it takes too much time and right now I'm too lazy. I always get interested in seeing my hair straight UNTIL I have to worry about whether it rained that day and my hair reverting back to curly.

4. Monthly length checks were just a waste of time AND it made my hyper vigilant about my hair. Hair will grow but my worry shouldn't be growing a long with it.

THE BEST HAIR PRACTICES OF 2012

1. Using shampoo bars instead of shampoo has changed my life. Chagrin Valley shampoo bars are so awesome and makes my curls really moisturized. My hair is in love with these poo bars. Also, it appears that my hair is growing so well since using them. I have an assortment in my bathroom cabinet. I also use them as body bars.

2. Protective styling has helped me to forget about my hair and retain length. I get less breakage and knots when I protective style. If all goes well then I will retain a great amount of hair by the end of next year.

3. Adding Jamaican Black Castor oil, jojoba oil, and grapeseed oil to my deep condition and rinse out conditioner has helped me to have softer, more moisturized hair. After doing this for the last few months, I've been wondering why I never thought of this before!

4. Scalp massages using natural oils are very soothing. Also, scalp massages are known to stimulate hair growth. I enjoy stress relieve and hair benefits from just a couple minutes of a massage.

Looking back on 2012 what would you say are your best and/or worst hair practices?

3 comments:

  1. Worst Practices:

    1. Trying to use bentonite clay and mud washes as cleansers. Huge mistake! All those particles stuck to my roots and just wouldn't rinse, and the mud wash irritated my skin to no end.

    2. Finger detangling. I followed every tip possible to try this method, but it just didn't work for me. My strands would all get wrapped up around each other, tangle, and knot up tightly. I had an unbelievable amount of SSKs when I detangled like this. Plus it took forever -___-

    3. KimmayTube leave in. Oftentimes, the leave ins I had would also have AVJ in them, and it just didn't mesh well with the fresh AVJ in the KT leave in. Extra AVJ mixed with a product sound squeaky when they go on my hair, and after trying this, my hair was just dull and tangled and blech.

    4. Going ham on silicones. Even when I used a sulphate poo, my hair started to look and feel gummy, dry and dull.

    Best Practices:

    1. Detangling with my Denman D3! It goes faster and is less traumatizing for my hair and scalp lol. Plus it gives pretty bomb definition :-D

    2. Going CG. I never thought that I'd be the type of natural to stop using sulphates and 'cones. But I am! I've been CG for more than a month and I LOVE it. My hair looks so much better.

    3. Cowash mixing. Straight up cowashing never really did it for me, but a lot of shampoos would leave me parched, too. So I did a bit of a spinoff of Peepla's Shortcut Shampoo and made a cowash mix. It works well no matter what I use to wash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Kimberlee! Lol @ going "ham" on silicones. My hair always rebels too with too many silicones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the only way to describe it lol. My hair went from "ahhhhhh" to "...da heck?!" I doubt another silicone will ever touch my head o' curls again...

    ReplyDelete