Do Too Much December is HERE.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Rotating Shampoos for Effectiveness

If you're like me and you have a special scalp condition or you have a tempermental scalp, then you may want to consider rotating shampoos. I got the idea from my dermatologist when he presented me with a plan to use medicated shampoos and switch every 2-3 weeks. Each shampoo contained a different beneficial ingredients for my scalp condition. The reasoning behind the shampoo rotation was to keep my scalp from getting too used to the shampoos and then, they lose their effectiveness. However, my main reason for shampoo rotation is to suit my hair's needs.

How do you rotate shampoos? Well, you can either set a schedule for rotation or allow your scalp to dictate it. Whatever schedule you choose, you will need to keep track of which shampoos you use for that particular week.

To get started rotating shampoos you will need a clarifying, itchy scalp relief, moisturizing, and light protein shampoos. If you are using a shampoo bottle then you can label them 1,2, 3, and 4. If you are a shampoo bar user like me then you can separate your bars and label the ziploc bags.

Your clarifying week will be to clean your scalp of any build up. Clarifying is important because if product continues to gather on your scalp then you can risk scalp irritation, fungus, and even hair loss. Clarifying shampoos are usually clear and lighter than other shampoos. They will leave your hair feeling squeaky clean. I use Chagrin Valley Aryvedic Herb shampoo bar to clarify.

During my itchy scalp weeks I choose shampoos that have stimulating ingredients such as tea tree, peppermint, and rosemary oils. Lathering and leaving the itchy scalp shampoo on my scalp for several minutes is very soothing before rinsing it out. Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Treat shampoo gives a great tingle and helps with itchy scalp. Cafe Moreno, Rosemary Mint, and Neem and Tea Tree Hair/Body bars are also excellent for getting rid of the itchies.

If my hair feels extra crispy, then I reach for an extra moisturizing shampoo. These shampoos are creamy and thicker than regular shampoos. You can turn the bottle upside down and it pours slowly out. Extra moisturizing shampoo bars include coconut  milk, castor, and olive oils. My favorite moisturizing Chagrin Valley shampoo bars include Olive Babassu and Butter Conditioner bars. My favorite moisturizing Shampoo is Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo.

On weeks that I need more protein then I am sure to add shampoos that contain vegetable protein. One of my favorite shampoos is Shea Moisture Yucca & Aloe thickening shampoo. In addition to making my hair feel stronger, it also gives my hair more volume. It is especially formulated for fine and thin hair.

Disclaimer: I am not against co-washing but it is not a method that I chose because of my scalp condition. People with special scalp conditions, such as seborrhea dermatitis, eczema, and psorasis will need to shampoo to cleanse the scalp of dandruff flakes.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, Raven! Great article :-D My favorite cleanser right now is the Yes to Cucumbers Color Protection shampoo. It's not creamy, but it has lots of gentle cleansers, AVJ, moisturizing oils, & plant extracts. I could rotate it with my cleansing conditioner mix & Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Moisturizing poo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberlee! My dermatologist has been a great help with providing lots of info on my scalp condition. He specifically told me that the goal is to not let my scalp get too used to the shampoo ingredients. I figured why not share that info. This way it may work for others. The only difference is to let your scalp dictate which rotation to do. For instance, I did my moisture rotation today. My scalp is clean but it has the right moisture balance. If my scalp has extra oils then I go to clarifying. When the hair is shedding a little more than usual then I do protein. I was doing it subconsciously and so I realized I needed to document it.

      Delete
  2. The best solution for hairloss for me is using RegenePure. One of the
    best hairloss shampoos, and it contains ketoconazole. I always get mine
    RegenePure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Simon! Thanks for stopping by and sharing this information.

      Delete