Do Too Much December is HERE.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pretty Coverups and Lovely Accessories for the Forgotten Natural

Winter is the PERFECT time for lovely coverups, such as scarves, hats, and wraps. Why? Because if you live in a cold climate then these accessories can be your greatest ally if you are having a bad hair day OR you have hair loss. Using a cute beanie to coordinate with an outfit or a bodacious scarf to bring out the color of your hair, complexion, or eyes can turn a "blah" into an "oh, yeah"! Don't let your hair be the reason why your smile is dimmer or your eyes lose their shine.

How many times did I cry over the hair loss I suffered in the crown of my head? Well, too many times to remember. Years ago, I remembered the time I used a handheld mirror to look in the back of my head to see that my weak spot had grown to a bigger area and there was absolutely no hair there! I was completely  mortified when I saw I had no hair there. Worse still, being a teacher I knew that I had many eyes on me everyday and that was just going to be torture. I remember walking down the steps from lunch leading my students to the classroom when a female loudly exclaimed "She's bald!" After that comment I was quite self conscious and for an entire year I began wearing scarves to cover up my bald area. Thankfully, now that spot in the top of my head is covered with hair and no one would ever know that I was once bald in that area. I've never been one to wear wigs, but I was almost at that point until I discovered the beauty of wearing scarves and hats.

Beanies and hats are great for casual days or you can get fancy and coordinate them with dress up outfits. Great stores like Charming Charlie have an assortment of beanies and hats that are colorful and some even have added garnishments like bows and pins. I usually keep mine plain but on occasion I will add my own design.

Scarves are excellent and provide a fashionable accessory for any occasion. I can wear my scarves to work, church, on a date, or just a relaxing day at home. I've found many of my scarves at the local Five & Below Store, fabric store, and discount department store. You can get the nicest scarves for just a little bit of many.

Using both of these accessories have literally changed my life. It gave me that confidence that I needed and helped relieve unnecessary stress. I did not have to worry about people seeing my baldness and staring at me. Unless you have suffered hair loss as a woman, than you couldn't possibly understand the cruelty that so called adults can put others through. I will actually share more of my experiences on suffering baldness in the past and how I dealt with the stress in an upcoming post.

For those of you who have baldness or who have experienced baldness like me what advice can you offer other forgotten naturals on how to fashionably hide weak and bald areas?

No comments:

Post a Comment