Do Too Much December is HERE.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

The New Lazy Method to Hair Growth

I am always in awe of naturals, who have grown their hair to long lengths without a bunch of gimmicks or seemingly hard work. I have several long haired naturals in my family and I've always asked them the burning question "how do you grow your hair so LONG?" Most of the time they will shrug their shoulders and give that cursatory "I just wash my hair and condition it" response. Hah! I thought. Well, I began to watch them more closely. Not satisfied with observing my long haired relatives (after all, we share some of the same genes), I observed other long haired naturals. What I found common in their practices, helped me to become a part of the lazy naturals club.

#1. Minimize your products. The majority of long haired naturals don't use a million and one different products. In fact, they mostly have just a minimal amount of staple products that they use. Piling a bunch of product on top of product all the time, is just not what I see long haired naturals doing. This is not to say that you shouldn't try new products. No, I'm saying don't go overboard putting a bunch of them in your head at one time then waiting to cleanse your hair forever. Some naturals can shampoo once a month but at some point you have to cleanse to keep your hair follicles from choking on all the gunk in your hair.

#2. Style your hair then keep your hands out of it for the rest of the day. Notice I said style but not protective style. Why? Because I've seen long haired naturals who wear their hair out most of the time. My niece wears her hair down and she has mid back length hair (mbl). There are times when some long haired naturals protective style, but it's up to the individual. I work in an extremely hot environment, so I protective style 99% of the time because having my hair out makes me feel like I am going to pass out. Just make sure you're not constantly tugging, pulling, and picking at your hair.

#3. Balance your moisture and protein. I know some people say they are protein sensitive, but avoiding all protein is not a good idea. Why? Because hair is mostly made up of keratin, which is a protein. Using light proteins can work well for those who feel they are protein sensitive. Long haired naturals know when they need to add moisture or protein back into their hair. Also, I notice a lot of them co wash. Now I can't do co washing, because of my scalp condition, but I use little shampoo to a greater amount of conditioner. This is like my own modified co wash. I use conditioner that has light protein in it, so I get the best of both worlds.

#4. Eat, drink, and be merry! I see a lot of long haired naturals drink water and other healthy drinks, such as natural juices and smoothies. Many of them eat well. After all, the lack of nutrients can rob your hair, skin, and nails resulting in brittle, breaking, and severe shedding. Finally, keeping your stress levels low is beneficial as stress affects hair fall. In other words, try to be as happy as you can!

#5. Avoid chasing after EVERY gimmick! I was SO guilty of doing this that my wallet was screaming in agony over all the money I had spent on gimmick after gimmick. The new growth shampoo, conditioner, vitamin, and oil is always tempting to buy. Now, don't get me wrong. I use an oil called Wild Growth Hair Oil, but I'm not sitting here thinking that it's my sole source of growth aid. It has great ingredients, but I know that it takes more than just a miracle product to encourage growth. Long haired naturals use simple ingredients and their hair grows, and grows, and grows. Whether you use petroletum or opt for more natural products, the key is consistency and good hair practices.

I haven't been length checking my hair in a while and at this point, I'm subscribing to the "lazy" naturals method. I've automated my hair regimen to the point where I'm not overly concerned with length. I want my hair to grow, but I'm putting my overall health first. After all, healthy on the inside means that it will also reflect on the outside. While I enjoy hair forums, they also contributed to me doing too much. I would see a new product or method and feel the need to try it. Don't get me wrong, hair forums are an awesome source of information and if you're newly natural then it can provide a great support system.

Now, this is my new commitment to laziness. What's yours?

13 comments:

  1. I was never one to subscribe to a lot of madness. If I see something that makes sense, I tried it. I don't use a lot of products on my hair, especially at one time. I don't like that "weighed down" feeling. The best tip I've found so far is adding aloe vera juice and oil to my leave-in conditioner (everyone credits Chicoro and Kimmaytube for that idea). You suggested that I use it for Tresemme Naturals, and that has worked well too. There are soooo many products I see on forums that I want to try, but the Holy Spirit of Hair tells me, "Stick to what has worked," and that's what I do. The only new product I know I will try is a shampoo and/or conditioning bar. That's it. Keeping it simple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you. Too much constant experimentation doesn't produce much results. I just remember a friend who had waist length hair and she said all she did was wash her hair with a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner then grease her scalp. That's it. Her hair was absolutely gorgeous.

      Delete
    2. I think that in theory, but joining hair sites has just made it so bad for me when I go into the store! I limit my budget now at least ($30 per month), but I just love trying new things - especially leave ins :-D

      Delete
    3. Yes, I agree Kimberly. Hair forums offer a wealth of information but it can also contribute to product junkyism. Some don't feel it's a problem, but if it is causing financial problems then it's a problem. I'm glad you set a budget.

      Delete
    4. Kimberlee, I apologize for jacking up the spelling of your name. Charge it to me typing on my phone!!!

      Delete
    5. Lol, it's no problem! :-)

      I agree, btdubs. It got to the point where I'd buy a new conditioner instead of food or other necessities. I had to realise that I couldn't choose my hair over my health, & that I'm a college student without a job right now. I can't just spend money willy-nilly.

      Delete
    6. Right now there are only a couple of staples that I spend money on and usually it is when I catch a sale such as a BOGO. I'm fortunate to have staples that go on sale frequently and they are found right in the store. My most recent splurge was the Jamaican Pimento oil ($15 a bottle) but it's so effective that I don't mind putting out the cash. I'm working on sharing more about this amazing oil in an upcoming article. So stay tuned!!!!

      Delete
  2. This is very impressive post with every minute details mentioned and clearly expressed, great job.
    Salon in Mohali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daljeet! I appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
  3. Great method for hair regrowth. Thanks for this post its really useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia! I'm glad you found some of my tips useful.

      Delete
  4. The blog is wonderful and natural the way you told us.Yeah i do avoid the product that ultimately lied you to have laser hair growth treatment.Thanks for the useful tip Raven.I will come back soon to read new things

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips I can say, and I really tried some of them and it looks fine actually works on my hair.

    Indian Hair

    ReplyDelete