Do Too Much December is HERE.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Practical Hair Length Retention for the Forgotten Natural

Many of the hair growth and retention articles and videos provide standard hair growth tips- moisture, protective styling, healthy eating, and exercise. But, when you're a "forgotten" natural, you are a part of the groups who do everything right AND it still doesn't work, it can be very frustrating.  So, what's a forgotten natural to do?

Looking back on my natural hair journey I realized that although I thought I was doing the right things, I actually wasn't. My hair literally stayed the same length for 2 yrs until I found Youtube, began watching, and reading information about hair for myself. The next 2 yrs of my hair journey my hair grew longer and I was finally beyond the TWA stage.

Here are some tips that I learned along the way to moving from my growth plateau:

#1. Closely examine your hair regimen. Are you cleansing too frequently or not frequently enough? Are you using damaging hair tools (combs, brushes, clips)? Do you have a moisture/protein balance for your hair? Have you tried protective styling (no/ low manipulation)?

Don't try to completely follow someone else's routine. You may borrow parts of someone's regimen, but work on designing one for your OWN hair. For instance, I tried co washing and my scalp TOTALLY rejected the idea. But, using little shampoo on the scalp and generous conditioner on my hair works well for me. Unlike some naturals, wearing protective styles like mini twists for months does not work for me. But, I can wear my hair in twists for 7-10 days then cleanse and condition.

#2. Review your staple products. For years I was a severe PJ (product junky) buying every line of products that promised beautiful curls and coils. I kept switching from product to product and my hair suffered breakage and baldness. The light bulb went off when I found the right products that contained the right INGREDIENTS. I began product looping and using products within the same line and/or products with the same top 5-10 ingredients.

#3. Look at your diet. I had to have a serious talk with myself because I was eating too many empty calories (sweets and fats). I began drinking a lot more water and green tea. I added more fruits and vegetables to my meal. I even began taking a healthy lunch to work. I added a great multivitamin like Nature's Way Alive Women's Energizer to my diet.I felt better and it helped my hair to grow back in the bald areas.

#4. Consider going to the doctor and/or dermatologist. My balding and thinning areas were a result of a skin condition known as seborrhea dermatitis. The dermatologist was able to provide a prescription shampoo and ointment to help with the reddening, dryness, and itch. My condition has lessened, but I now use natural remedies, such as Chagrin Valley Neem & Tea Tree Hair/Body & Cafe Moreno bars to control my condition.

Hair growth is probably one of the biggest areas of concerns for naturals. But, the key is to remember than unless there is a medical condition then hair will grow. The goal is to retain length.

My Fav Product Staples
#1. Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars- Babassu & Marshmallow, Cafe Moreno, Olive Babassu, Butter Conditioner & Neem & Tea Tree Hair/Body Bar

#2. Shea Moisture Yucca & Aloe Thickening & Growth line.
Anti Breakage Masque & Hair Milk

#3. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie & Curling Souffle

#4. Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Hair Treatment Masque & Edge Taming Taffy

#5. Wild Growth Hair Oil

#6. TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner

#7. Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, & Grapeseed Oil

#8. Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier

2 comments:

  1. I concur with everything you have said. I keep my regimen simple:

    I co-wash every 7-9 days.
    I DC every week

    Staple products:

    Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
    SM Organic Black Soap Purification Masque
    SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Soufflé
    SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing smoothie
    QB Burdock Root Root Butter Cream
    QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
    Heritage Store Rosewater
    Shealoe butter
    Mango butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your product staples list. I was thinking about trying rose water. I heard it is very refreshing. A simple regimen to me cuts out all the headache of doing TOO much. My hair does better when I keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete