Do Too Much December is HERE.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Curly to Straight: Tips for Safely Straightening Natural Hair

Do you know the number one reason why many naturals say they want to flat iron but don't? Yep, you guessed it. Heat damage. I have learned some really great techniques for avoiding heat damage. In fact, these techniques have helped me to retain length despite heat styling my hair several times this year. Heat styling is a treat, but just as with treats the key is to not over indulge. It can be done safely without damaging the hair. Also, for many naturals it is perfect for length checks and trims.

How to Safely Heat Style in 10 Easy Steps

1. Cleanse the hair with a moisturizing heat protectant shampoo.

2. Use a good moisturizing rinse out conditioner.

3. Follow up with a deep conditioner OR use the deep conditioner as a prepoo.

4. Thoroughly detangle with a large tooth comb designed for curly hair. CAREFULLY get all tangles and snarles out.

5. Section the hair and apply leave-in. At this point you can opt to air dry OR proceed to blowdrying.

6. IF you blowdry (on a low setting) apply a heat protectant spray and lightly braid in big sections. I prefer 4 easy to work with sections.

7. Next, adjust the heat for YOUR hair. Safe heat styling depends on the temperature that is right for your hair.

8. Be sure to apply a heat protectant BEFORE flat ironing in sections.

9. Take your time and clamp the flat iron as close to the roots as you can get. SLOWLY move the flat iron in a downward motion. Some people use the comb chase method where you put a comb in front of the flat iron with your hair and move it down.

10. Allow your hair to cool before thoroughly combing it.

Great Heat Protectant Products I Use

#1. Nubian Heritage Black Seed & Honey Heat Protect line
-Their shampoo, cream conditioner, heat protectant spray, and mousse smell lovely and provide excellent heat protection.

#2. TRESemme Luxurious Moisture or Smooth & Silky conditioner- These are awesome rinse out conditioners and provide excellent slip when detangling.

#3. Kinky Curly Knot Today- I use this product as my leave-in BEFORE I apply heat protectant and proceed to style. It has plant and fruit extracts, so without water in its ingredients list, it is perfect for keeping my heat styled hair from reverting.

#4. Wild Growth Hair Oil- This oil works wonders as a pressing oil. I apply a small amount according to the directions to my sectioned hair. After adding this oil to my straightening regimen, I got my hair smoother and straighter when heat styling.

Do you have any tips/ techniques for safely heat styling natural hair?

3 comments:

  1. Great tips! The main reason I don't want to flat-iron my hair is because I'm worried I might burn myself lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shenise! Thanks for reading. You can use a cutter comb or a fine toothed comb to assist you with the flat ironing process. Burning yourself will be highly unlikely if you use the lowest setting your hand can straighten at and take your time. Just like with anything it takes practice. Good luck! :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Shenise! Thanks for reading. You can use a cutter comb or a fine toothed comb to assist you with the flat ironing process. Burning yourself will be highly unlikely if you use the lowest setting your hand can straighten at and take your time. Just like with anything it takes practice. Good luck! :)

      Delete