Do Too Much December is HERE.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Who Are the Forgotten Naturals?

Who Are the Forgotten Naturals?

The forgotten naturals are those of us who don't have the ideal BIG, fluffy natural hair featured in the mainstream media. You see, there are many natural hair blogs that feature gorgeous hair of various lengths, but mostly, it's the eye catching gigantic, beautiful Afro textured hair. From coils to kinks to curls and waves, almost all of the blogs exclusively cater to people who fit into the natural hair mold. This blog is for those of you, who like me, don't fit into those molds. We are the naturals who have (or still) suffer through scalp conditions, health problems, and hair challenges resulting in less than perfect curls and coils. We are the ones who stare longingly at the perfect afro, twist outs, protective styles, etc. and have to tell ourselves everyday that our hair doesn't fit into the ideal.

Why Am I a Forgotten Natural?

-After 4 yrs of being a natural, my hair is below shoulder length. Contrary to popular belief, all naturals don't grow hair incredibly fast.

-For years I have suffered with seborrhea dermatitis and there was a time in which almost nothing would give me relief from my condition.

-My hair is not voluminous and I have fine/thin natural hair.

-Due to my sensitive skin and scalp I CANNOT indulge in many of the mainstream products due to strong dyes and fragrances.

-I have had to learn from trial and error that due to my fragile hair strands, many popular hair styles DON'T look the same on me and I have had to adapt it to fit my style.


It's ALL a Learning Process!

It is my hope that my blog and hair journey will help anyone who feels like a "Forgotten Natural". Please feel free to comment on hair topics that you would like for me to blog about as I want my blog to help as many "forgotten naturals" as possible. 


7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog and thanks for starting it. I can relate to what you are saying. I am 21 months natural and I know I will never have a voluminous head of hair. I have an autoimmune disease and it requires that I take a chemotherapy drug for ongoing treatment. I have to fight hair loss particularly in one spot at my front perimeter. I am CG, which has helped my hair tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, AJ!
    Thank you so much for commenting! Your experience is not uncommon as many of us became natural due to health reasons. Please feel free to comment on topics that you would like to be addressed on my blog. I plan to look at natural remedies as well as ways to style thinning hair and bald spots. Any other ideas will be appreciated. Have a happy holiday season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlfriend guess who lol I'm following :)
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tina! Thanks so much for following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heey chica! Congrats on the new blog; it looks so spiffy in here! ;-D Lurving it, truly, girl. Praying for great things from this endeavor; I can feel it already! :-)

    SN: I bought the Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier from Target today, and I plan to use it as the L when I do LCO this weekend for wash day. Excited! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier is a great liquid leave-in! I stretch my TWPB by adding part of it with water in a cleaned out spray bottle. Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for starting this blog. I used to wonder why my hair was never full of volume, why many of the hairstyles just sucked with my hair and started to feel a little left out. It's great to know that there are many that don't fit the typical mold...

    ReplyDelete