Do Too Much December is HERE.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Product "Looping"

How Does Hair Product "Looping" Work?

Hair product "looping" is a term that I have begun using to describe the process of using products with similar ingredients. The concept is pretty similar to how manufacturers promote using products from the same line. You are probably familiar with the common disclaimer "works best with other products from this line" printed on the products. I call it a product "loop" because just like a loop creates a circle, the products wrap and overlap with one another. There are several ways to product loop.

#1 Loop Products from the Same Line

 The most common one is to use products from the same product line.For example, I used Shea Moisture Growth & Thickening line shampoo, conditioner, and hair masque with a lot of success for many years.

#2 The Elixer-5 Common Ingredients

Another way to product loop is to pick products that have 5 common essential ingredients. After moving toward using products from other companies, I discovered by accident that using products with at least 5 common ingredients worked well for my hair. I call these ingredients my hair elixers. My theory is that every person has about 5 ingredients that work well with their body chemistry. Mine happen to be castor, jojoba, grape seed, coconut, olive oils, shea butter, and aloe vera juice/or gel.



#3 Create Your Own Loop

The final way to product loop is to add in your own hair elixer. I've started doing this with my conditioners. I'll add in the oils with about 2 tbsp of aloe vera juice a la Youtube Kimmaytube recipe. Also, my stylers contain these ingredients, so the final result is moisturized, growing hair. I have been applying my product looping theory since this summer and I have noticed less breakage, knots, and frizz.


Benefits of Product Looping

-Your hair becomes adjusted to the ingredients and performs consistently.

-You don't have scalp or hair issues because you are using ingredients that work with your body chemistry.

-You don't waste money chasing the "perfect product".


Is product "looping" for you?

So, is product looping for you? Everyone has their preferences and the point of the whole natural hair journey is to find what works for YOU. If it works then it's a keeper!

4 comments:

  1. I do this when thinking about trying new products. I usually look for aloe vera juice/gel, shea butter, jojoba or coconut oil, and marshmallow root. My hair loves these ingredients. If it's something I may apply to my scalp I look for vitamin E or tea tree oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Randi! Yes, those are great ingredients. You and I have the same scalp condition, so it doesn't surprise me that our scalps respond to the same ingredients. Tea tree oil has antifungal properties and vitamin E is very good for skin protection. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. @Randi: Same here. When Raven mentioned this on her other blog (on CN), I started doing it and saw much better results. I look for shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, aloe vera juice, hydrolyzed proteins and glycerin. My hair has looked worlds better since doing this method of searching for products! Btdubs, Raven, is it okay if I link to this article on my blog? This is great information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kimberlee! I'm glad you're having great results using the product looping method. Yes, by all means you may link my article your blog. Anytime!

      Delete