Do Too Much December is HERE.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Lessons from the Hairball & Beyond!

Looking back on my hair journey I can truly say that I have learned from my challenges AND milestones. It is important to not only learn from your mistakes, but also your successes. Just the other day I was styling my hair and I noticed how it is longer and thicker. I also noticed that I don't have as many split ends as I used to have earlier in my hair journey. Finally, it occurred to me that I don't use as much product to style my hair even though it is longer. So, what changed?

Lesson #1. Consistency
I noticed that even if I skipped one day if moisture then my hair would not have a major setback. But, if I had a full week of consistent moisture and sealing, then by the next month my hair was in GREAT shape. This concept is similar to diet and exercise. If you have an off day then get back up and keep going.

Lesson #2. Perseverence
When I look back at my hair journey and even now as I continue on growing my hair out, I have persevered. If you have suffered from a scalp condition and/ or hair loss like me, then you'd understand that you must NEVER stop trying. The proof is in the curl. I kept trying to improve my hair and scalp. As a result, my scalp is significantly better and my hair is growing well.

Lesson #3. Responsibility
I've learned that my hair journey is MY responsibility and no one else's. Thanks to blogger, Golden Blaze at goldenblaze.blogspot.com, for reminding me to trust my own instincts. Products and techniques are not cookie cutter, so I must discover what works best on my hair. This means reading ingredients and researching to determine if it is something that I should invest in.

Lesson #4. Appreciation
I keep photos of my hair in different stages to celebrate my milestones. I can see a visual of when my hair reached past my nose; chin; and now to my chest. It is a reminder to be grateful for every inch of healthy hair on my head. I remember when I could barely get my hair into twists and there were bald spots that I hid with scarves. I'm SO appreciative of my hair becoming healthier and longer.

Lesson #5. Acceptance. So what if my hair doesn't curl the same way another natural's does! So what if my hair isn't as thick or long as someone else's. My hair type is a part of my DNA and it is what makes me unique. It makes me proud of my ancestry and the glorious function of my Afro textured hair. THIS hair is amazing and it allows me to go from curly fro to picked out fro, picked out fro to twists, twists to twist outs, twist outs to blowouts, blow outs to flat ironed. I mean, the possibilities are endless. I accept my unique and versatile hair.

Readers, what great lessons are you learning along the way in your hair journey?

2 comments:

  1. I have come to learn that I am not consistent in anything I do when it comes to my hair. I like your advice, very wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha! I know for a fact that building a regimen will result in length retention and improve the hair's health. Thanks for reading & I wish you the best with your hair journey.

      Delete