Do Too Much December is HERE.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

An Alternative to Hair Grease:Sunny Isle Hair Pomades

A few months ago I was in my local health store searching for some Jamaican Pimento oil and I came across Sunny Isle Rosemary Oil Pomade. You can find Sunny Isle products on their website at http://www.sunnyislejamaicanblackcastoroil.com/. Looking at the ingredients I became convinced that this might be a good product to buy. The ingedients are 100% natural beeswax, Jamaican black castor oil, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin Jamaican coconut oil, jojoba oil, and rosemary essential oil. Opening the jar my senses were hit with a STRONG herbal, rosemary scent. The color is an herbal color that looks like a brown/ green mixture. You can see small beads of herbs mixed inside the pomade.

Initially, I attempted to part my hair and use the pomade to twist my hair. My curly/ coily hair resisted and my twists began to unravel. So, I tried again cocktailing the pomade with a smidgen of the Shea Moisture Curling Souffle. Eureeka! This combo worked awesome and my twists stayed. Not only that, but after putting a little pomade on my scalp, it felt really refreshed.

I have been using the Sunny Isle Rosemary Pomade for a couple months and I LOVE it. I've been able to achieve moisturized twists and I use a little on my ends to keep them in good shape. This pomade is a great alternative for those who are sensitive to petroletum products. Contrary to popular belief old school petroletum products didn't work for everyone and they sure don't work for me. The best part is that it lasts a LONG time and it is healthy for the hair. Did you know that rosemary has been proven to contribute to hair growth?

Since using the Sunny Isle Rosemary Hair Pomade I've noticed moisturized, shiny, HAPPY hair. My hair doesn't feel greasy or weighed down. A little bit goes a LONG way! This wonderful pomade didn't irritate my sensitive scalp. The herbal scent does linger a little, so if you're sensitive to smells then this may not be the pomade for you.

The Sunny Isle pomades made with Jamaican Black Castor Oil also comes in Ylang Ylang and Lavendar. You can also order the Jamaican Black Castor oil with these oil mixtures. They are all natural and affordable.

What products do you recommend for preserving protective styles?

5 comments:

  1. Love the review, Raven! :-) This looks like a great option for curlies who can't/don't use petroleum products.
    I usually just smooth down my hair with EVOO or safflower oil to keep the frizzies at bay since my twists only stay in for a week at the most. I've heard great things about Shea butter mixes & natural pomades, though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberlee! This pomade is EXCELLENT on my hair! I was SO excited to see a a variety of Jamaican Black Castor Oil products in my local health store. I've tried using EVOO alone and my hair doesn't respond well to it unless I mix it with something. Otherwise, it feels weird in my hair. Funny how our hair has it's own individual "tastes" I've heard you talk about safflower oil many times. I've never tried it. Where do you buy it?

      Delete
  2. Excellent review! I am in MD and would like to buy some Jamaican Black Castor Oil. What beauty supply(s) or health food stores did you locate this in? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sabrina! Thanks for stopping by! I purchased this at the Herbal Fusion store in Ft.Washington,MD on Swann Creek Rd off of Indian Head Highway 210. This store is a health store and it carries few of the Sunny Isle products.

      Delete