Do Too Much December is HERE.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Winter Routine 2013

The winter time in the DMV (Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia) area can be very cold. I know it doesn't get as cold as other destinations, but it gets cold enough to make me whip out my thickest oils and concoct a winter spray mixture. I was perusing Youtube when I came across Naptural85 and there was a video on a nourishing hair and body oil. I automatically perked up because my hair strands were coughing and in need of moisture. Yes, I know oil doesn't provide moisture. It seals in moisture. So, off I went to MOM's Organic (think Wholefoods but slightly smaller) to buy the key oils for this mixture. It is ultra nourishing and my hair was thanking me for using it. No, seriously I swear my hair high fived me when I finished spritzing my hair.

WINTER HAIR OIL

In order to make the nourishing hair and body oil you will need to have castor oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, olive oil, and sweet almond oil. Get yourself an empty bottle. I found an oil bottle that I wasn't using but you may want to get one especially for your oil. Then do about an ounce for each of the heavier oils (i.e. castor, olive, and avocado) then about 1/2 ounce for the sweet almond and jojoba. You may want to adjust the oil for your liking.




AYURVEDIC  HAIR CARE

My scalp goes haywire with the winter weather, so I decided to step it up on my Ayurvedic hair care. Once a week I use Sukesh Ayurveda as a scalp treatment/prepoo. I put heated aloe vera juice (about a 1/2 cup), rose water (about 1/2 tsp), 4 tsp of Sukesh Ayurveda powder, and 20 drops of clove oil. Sometimes I will add the Henna Sooq Cocoveda oil which has many of the Indian oils along with ginger extract and coconut oil. It is a very moisturizing oil and my scalp loves it. First, I mix the ingredients and make a paste to on my scalp. Then, I use the remaining paste to put on my hair. I start with the ends of my hair first then work my way up. I make about 6 big twists and then wrap my head up with Saran Wrap. Ah, I know. So lovely. There is usually a funny earthy smell from the herbs, but I think the rose water cuts down on the aroma.



MAD MOISTURE SHAMPOO BARS

My hair and scalp LOVES shampoo bars. My most recent purchase is a definite must have for fighting dry hair. It's called Mad Moisture from . It is actually a hair and body bar. So, I like how I can use it on my hair then wash up with it to nourish my skin. The first time I used this lovely shampoo bar, I couldn't believe the absolute moisture. I have been using the Mad Moisture shampoo bars for about a month now and it never disappoints.



KINKY CURLY KNOT TODAY LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER

I have gone back to what my hair loves and so, I picked up a bottle of the ultra wonderful detangler, Kinky Curly Knot Today. I typically don't use this conditioner straight from the bottle. I usually take an empty bottle a la Kimmaytube style and I add about 2 Tsp of Kinky Curly Knot Today, 1 Tsp of castor oil and 1/2 tsp of jojoba oil. Most recently I added about a 1/2 tsp of olive oil too. Then, I squirt a generous amount of rose water then fill the rest of the bottle up with regular water. I shake really good and I have my leave in conditioner ready to go.

I love nourishing my hair in the shower, so I will squirt this in my hair then rinse it out. Then, I will add it as a leave in (just a little) after I deep condition my hair. My hair behaves REALLY well using this method. I get to have the LOC (liquid, oil, cream) method in and out of the shower.

NATURELLE GROW HERBAL BLENDS DEEP CONDITIONER

The NaturelleGrow Conditioners are absolutely decadent. I have yet to find any conditioners that are as nourishing, rich, and creamy. My favorite conditioner is the Herbal Blends conditioner. It contains excellent ingredients like marshmallow root, blue malva, slippery elm, burdock root, and mullein. All of the ingredients work to detangle and moisturize the hair. Also, this blend promotes hair growth. I don't like to be without it. My hair craves it! I like to deep condition about 30 minutes every time I cleanse my hair, which is about once a week.



PROTECTIVE STYLES

My top favorite style is twists pinned up or secured with a Goody Oucheess Barett. I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie mixed with Shea Moisture Curling Souffle on most days. Sometimes I will use a castor oil pomade or Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow and Strengthen Edge Taming Taffy. I wear my hair out every other weekend, but I cover my head with a scarf and beanie then take it off when I'm indoors. I NEVER go outside with my head uncovered as the winter air is very drying.



MY WINTER HAIR ROUTINE IN A NUTSHELL
-Scalp Treatment
-Cleanse
-Condition
-Moisturize
-Seal
-Style

No comments:

Post a Comment