Do Too Much December is HERE.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Bun, Storm, and Unexpected Surprise

Why Must It Be So Difficult?

I've never been one to bun my hair. It's just not something I did. I used to practically live in twists UNTIL the twists no longer worked for me. So, enter henna and well, I just fell in love with this herbal treatment obviously sent by the Gods. I mean, had I known that henna is definitely for me, I would have used henna a LONG time ago. Anyway, back to the bun. How many people wear their perfectly formed buns that look so sophisticated yet can be easily worn at work or school? I didn't think buns were necessarily for me and then, my lazy side took over.

One day I'm sitting in front of the TV twisting my hair and my arms began to tire. I kept thinking why am I taking so much time to only have skimpy, anorexic twists? So, I undid the twists, and then I began to mess around with my Goody Ouchless band. Lo, and behold my curly bun was formed. I could care less if my bun is exactly symmetrically formed or perfectly sleek. While a sleek bun is definitely attractive, a bun that is nice yet fun isn't so bad at all. Now, I'm not advocating not taking your time to do a bun, but should it be a headache and a half? Nope!


How I Do This Bun Thing

Ok, so here's the breakdown on how I do my perfectly imperfect bun. You will only need a few minutes in the morning and you will be out the door in no time! I did say that I'm definitely a minimalists didn't I?

STEP #1-- Spritz hair with water and/or a water/oil mixture and gently smooth the hair.

STEP #2--Add a good moisturizer. I used Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Mist. 

STEP #3--Pull your hair up into a high ponytail with the Goody Ouchless band. It should be thin enough that you can wrap it twice.

STEP #4-- Separate the ponytail into two halves.

STEP #5-- Bend one side of the ponytail into a little puff then pin.

STEP #6-- Pin the other side of the ponytail into a second puff then pin.

STEP #7--Squish the bun gently to make it look uniform and add more pins as needed.

STEP #8-- Spritz water on your edges and add gel. I used Creme of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges.

My first bun as a henna head!


The Bun Saga Continues

I hope this was simple and not a headache, because this method saved me time. I mean, when I say saved time, you wouldn't believe how easy it was to do, once I got the hang of it.

The cool thing about buns is that you can add a scarf for a fun look or wear earrings and a special outfit to jazz it up a bit. Buns can be as big as you would like or smaller and neater. Practice your buns and decide how high you would like it and play around with the form. Oh, and my bun held up VERY well during our extra rainy days during a messy tropical storm. What was the surprise? The surprise is that I was able to actually do a hairstyle and it turned out VERY well.

No comments:

Post a Comment