Do Too Much December is HERE.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Optimizing the Summer Growth Spurt

Summer is my favorite time of year. People are happy. No school (well, for some people), perpetual sunshine, summer concerts, and my hair GROWTH SPURT. Woot! Woot! I always get this big hair growth spurt during the summer. I don't know what it is about summer that makes my hair shoot out of my scalp like it's doing a race or something. All I know is by September/October my hair is usually a lot longer than when I started in the summer. This year I've been thinking what if I did things to spruce up and add to my summer growth spurt? Hopefully, you saw my last post on my summer regimen. If not, just click on my summer regimen post and read all about what I plan to do this summer. I figured why not be strategic about my growth this summer and measure the growth on October? Sounds like a plan!! What am I doing to OPTIMIZE my summer growth spurt?

#1. Cleanse my scalp/ condition my hair. Nice scalp massages while I loosen oil and dirt ALWAYS does my scalp good. Then, a generous helping of conditioner after I rinse my hair of soap. For me, dirt doesn't grow hair. It blocks my hair follicles and causes breakage. MY hair grows better when my scalp is clean and not irritated. People with scalp conditions like mine benefit from having clean scalps.

#2. Oil my scalp with Pimento Oil. Everything that I'm doing is for the health of my scalp and hair. Keeping an itch and irritation free scalp, helps me to avoid scratching and digging, which could infect my scalp. I don't use my fingernails to massage, but rather the pads of my fingers. The ingredients in the  pimento oil is soothing and stimulates the scalp. It's a win/win situation!

#3. Twist, pin, and go. My definite go-to style is the two strand twists updo. It keeps me from having "hands in hair" syndrome. I twist, bobby pin up, and go to work. No stress/no mess. While I like having my hair out and curly, I'm minimizing that to optimize my growth spurt. Keeping my ends tucked away and protected will allow my hair to grow without a lot of manipulation.

#4. Snip, snip, and GROW. I just trimmed my hair and now my ends are feeling like the gates of heaven have opened up. Aaahhhh!! Heh heh.. No, but seriously why do people hold on to scraggly, raggedy, ratched ends? All it does is stunt your growth if you have dryness and/or split ends. I'm not even going to try to "repair" those ends. Snip, snip and keep it moving. I won't be trimming again until October. I just realized that I snip every season. Hey! That DOES make sense, doesn't it?

#5. Oh, so GOOD ingredients. I'm a natural hair product diva. My hair loves some of the BEST ingredients that nature has to offer, so why not give Fluffy what she craves? Everything that I use from my luscious oil prepoo (prepared with JBCO Coconut Oil) to my rich deep conditioner contain ingredients that are EXCELLENT for strengthening, conditioning, and moisturizing my hair. No skimping this summer!!

#6. Handle with care. No ripping through my hair rushing through detangling sessions. I'm not trying to rip out hair balls. Instead, I'll be scheduling my sessions on my off days to ensure that I lose the tangles, but not come away with gigantic hairballs.

Dear readers, how are you going to consciously optimize your hair growth this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment