Do Too Much December is HERE.

Friday, June 14, 2013

My Henna Journey- Part 3: The 2nd Time Around

I have become a henna lover and it is growing with each application. There is something about henna that keeps pulling me in like that lover you just can't manage to say no to. But, not in a crazy eyed, hypnotic, weirdo kind of way. It's more of a healthy addiction, if there is such a thing. It's hard to explain, except to say that the more you do it, the more you love it.

I have been reading everything that I can find about henna: how to mix it properly, what to use, the benefits, and the drawbacks. My interest in henna has grown by leaps and bounds as I not only read about it, but experience it firsthand. After this second application, I have had some more epiphanies about this wonderful natural product. And aren't you just anxious to hear more about it? Well, I'm glad you asked! So, here it goes!

#1. Henna isn't just a treatment; it's a lifestyle. Henna heads will tell you that our haircare centers around proper treatment and henna is at the center. Because henna offers optimal strength and conditioning, everything that you do before and after you henna increases your hair's health. From detangling your hair properly to using a proper deep conditioner, EVERYTHING contributes to the best or henna experience. I'm so grateful to all of the ladies on the CurlyNikki Forum that offer the BEST henna advice EVER!

#2. Henna mixes aren't one size fits all. Just because someone else loves lemon juice in their mix, don't expect it to work the same for you. Why? Because what you put in your henna mix must be tailored specifically for your hair's needs. Typically lemon juice is drying for most Afro textured hair, but if you have oily hair and/or scalp then it may not negatively affect you. Keep in mind that the straight haired henna heads can get away with really acidic juices in their mix, because of the natural oils that they have that flow more easily down the hair strand. Those of us with drier hair textures prefer green tea, hibiscus tea, aloe vera juice, apple cider vinegar or (my favorite) coconut milk. It takes practice to figure out what will work best. Some people add oils to their mix and other people keep their mix simple. You have to play around with your mix to get the perfect combination.

#3. The perfect henna mix looks like a paste or pudding not a soup. I learned this the hard way, because my first mix was like a pea soup instead of a paste consistency. It was a messy situation. I didn't share this with you in the article, so I am gonna confess something. I got a few splotches will trying to apply the henna mix the first time. It was like a liquid and so it splashed a little. It wasn't terrible, but this time when I did a paste mixture there were no splotches. Also, the color doesn't deposit as well when you use a thin mixture. The thicker paste sticks to the hair strands and deposits better color.

My 2nd henna-- 06/13/2013


#4. Get good quality henna, because some of the cheap stuff will leave you with crispy, shedding hair. Thank God I didn't experience this myself. I learned vicariously through lurking blogs and forums that the worst henna experiences came from people purchasing el cheapo henna from some place that had poor quality products. Companies like Henna Sooq have organic certified products and top quality henna. You don't have to worry about picking twigs, sticks, and other drags out of your hair. It is packaged well and when you open the package you will know that it is a fresh quality.

#5. Allow the color to release before you apply the henna mix to your hair. I like how the henna will "tell" you that it is ready. When I first mix it I see a green color, but once the dye releases it turns to the color of mud. It is awesome. Oh, and I learned that you can freeze the left over henna. When you de-thaw and use the henna, the dye releases quicker than freshly made henna. Isn't that awesome?

#6. You may want to give henna a try if you have a scalp condition. I have a condition called seborrhea dermatitis. It is usually under control, but when the weather changes or if I experience stress, it may flare up. After applying henna the first time, my scalp became different. Although I still experienced flare ups, it wasn't as intense as my previous episodes. During this second application my scalp had a nice, slight tingle. After rinsing out the henna my scalp felt clean not stripped. I felt as though my scalp had undergone a special treatment. If for no other benefit, I love henna because it helps my scalp condition.

Readers, are you considering joining the henna nation? Do you have questions about the process? Or are you an expert henna head? Share your thoughts and/or questions. 


2 comments:

  1. I love henna! You are right about the quick color deposit when you freeze it, mine was a deep rich brownish/auburn color. But the way my hair feels afterwards is amazing. Your second application looked so glossy and healthy! I can definitely see the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brae. Your hair is lovely as well. I'm learning that the henna process takes time and effort, but it is well worth it! My picture, by the way, is my hair without any product! That's how glossy it came out after rinsing the henna out.

      Delete