Do Too Much December is HERE.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Journey to Becoming a Henna Head- Part 2 Henna Head In Full Effect

I was so intrigued by henna that I had to use the Red Raj henna from Henna Sooq this weekend.  Initially, I was very chicken and a little apprehensive about the process. I read several blogs and visited Henna Sooq's website several times to make sure that I wasn't doing anything that would result in my hair in my hands. The most confusing part was that almost every natural had their own henna mix. A henna mix is a mixture of henna and then other powders, oils, or liquids to activate and/or enhance the conditioning properties of the henna. Some henna heads use orange juice, lemon juice, or green tea. Still others use coconut milk, aloe vera juice, or apple cider vinegar. Then, there are all of the myriad of different types of Aryuvedic and organic powders that can be added to the henna mix. After reading so much that my head began to hurt, so I just sat down and decided what exactly would I add to my mix?

What Did I Use in My Henna Mix?


Liquid #1 : Raspberry Tea-- It was chosen because the first ingredient in raspberry tea is hibiscus. Hibiscus flowers actually enhance the red tones of the henna. I figured that this was a good choice as I wanted the color to be visible on the first time.

Liquid #2: Aloe Vera Juice-- My hair loves aloe vera juice and I also knows it is a gentle liquid. I added it in there to just give an extra moisture boost.

Powder: Aloe Vera Powder (Conditioning/Softening Agent)-- I chose aloe vera powder, because it is known to aid in conditioning the hair and imparting moisture. There are a whole host of benefits from aloe vera including ridding the hair of dandruff and other scalp conditions.

Oil: Coconut/Jamaican Black Castor Oil-- My hair loves this oil and so, I figured why not? But, please note that oils are not be added prior to the dye release. In fact, it's best to add oils AFTER the dye has been released. For the Red Raj henna that I used the dye release time was approximately 3-4 hours. Therefore, I added the oil right before I applied the henna.

Detangling the Hair Before the Henna

It is VERY important that your hair is not matted and/or tangled. Why? Because having matted and tangled hair will make it especially difficult when you are trying to rinse out the henna. I finger detangled and used a little grape seed oil working my fingers carefully down each section and untangling any sections that were mixed together. The detangling process took me about 20-30 minutes. I took my time and made sure that I did not rip out any strands.

How did I apply the Henna Mix?

Prior to applying the henna mix I had to wait until the dye release. As I stated previously, the dye release time for Red Raj henna is 3-4 hours. I mixed together the ingredients and then I put the plastic top on the bowl and set it in the refrigerator for 3 hours. It was a dark green color when I first put it in the refrigerator. However, after the dye release it turned mud brown.

Before applying the henna mix you must section your hair. I used butterfly clips and made about 6 sections-- 3 on each side of my head. I figured it would be much easier if I made the sections small enough that I could work with them.

Wear gloves and make sure you have on old clothes and cover your work space with towels and/or newspaper. The splotches I made with the mixture were minimal, but I was able to clean up afterwards with no remaining henna stains.

Apply the henna as you would deep conditioner and be sure to get each section. I took my time slathering on the henna. I smoothed each section and then clipped it back up until the whole head was complete.

Once the whole head is done cover with a plastic cap or wrap with Saran Wrap. I used the Saran Wrap method because I didn't have any plastic caps. I made sure I wrapped it tight. I wiped any spilled henna, because I didn't want to have orange dye on my skin! Finally, I put my Turbie towel on top and laid a towel on my pillow. I went to bed and slept with the henna in my hair overnight.

The Big Reveal--Fluffy Gets Color

I am quite pleased with the results. My hair aka Fluffy looks and feels good. She has lots of volume and she is holding a twist out VERY well. Also, she feels soft yet strong. The henna did elongate my curls slightly but it also created better definition. #Winning!!!!

After the henna you can see the red highlights where my gray hair used to be.


Rinsing Out Henna 

After sleeping in the henna for about 6 hours I went to my bathroom and hung my head over the tub rinsing, rinsing, and rinsing! I used just plain water with no product at first. I just rinsed each side of my head until I saw the water run clear. This took a little while and to be honest, it didn't feel like it took long. I just stuck my head under the running water and turned slowly from side to side and rinsed. Then, I paid close attention to the front, back, and sides again to ensure that no henna residue remained.

Next, I applied Naturelle Grow Coconut Water Cleansing conditioner. This is a new product for me and I will be doing a full review very soon. I left the conditioner in for about 3 minutes then rinsed it out. Then, I applied TRESemme Naturals Nourishing conditioner and rinsed it out again. Finally, I applied the Naturelle Grow Chamomile Burdock Root conditioner. I left it in my hair and put a plastic bag over it to seal in the moisture for about 15 minutes. I rinsed it out and applied my leave-in, Shea Moisture Yucca and Baobab Hair Milk. I decided to twist my hairs in preparation for a twist out. I used a small amount of the Naturelle Grow Moisturizer to each section for extra moisture.

My Final Verdict

Well, it's only been a day but so far so good. I will continue to update my blog as I share my revelations. This henna journey is exciting and it has revitalized my natural hair journey. My scalp feels clean, but not stripped. This is very important as I have been fighting seborrhea dermatitis for some time. I won't give a final verdict just yet, but for now henna seems to be pretty darned good. 


I'm a henna head!!



My Supplies
  • Red Raj Henna
  • Aloe Vera Powder
  • Raspberry Tea
  • Aloe Vera Juice
  • Tropic Isle Coconut/Jamaican Black Castor Oil
  • Plastic Gloves
  • Naturelle Grow Coconut Water Cleansing Conditioner
  • TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner
  • Naturelle Grow Chamomile Burdock Root Deep Conditioner
  • Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Hair Milk
  • Naturelle Grow Moisturizer



For more information about Red Raj, Aloe Vera Powder, or other henna products please visit 


To purchase Naturelle Grow products please visit NaturelleGrow on Etsy.








4 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! Wait until a couple of days pass, your color will be so rich and bold! That's exactly what happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brae, I can't wait! I'm sure people will be asking me if I died my hair. Thanks for the support and info. I can't wait to see the color POP!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! It came out great, chica! I might try this in a few months after this color grows in a little more. Time to get my research on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you decide to join henna nation then you know there are a lot of helpful ladies available to help you. It was a really good experience. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete