Do Too Much December is HERE.

Monday, May 27, 2013

And If It Isn't Love: Natural Hair Acceptance

In the great spirit of keeping it realness, I've been thinking about how hair shouldn't be so, well... Complicated!  In my last post I talked about how I sometimes get caught up with thinking this is some type of hair growth competition. Well, today I was thinking about how I've learned to accept what my hair is and what it is not. Have you ever had that come to Jesus moment when you had to tell yourself..It's NOT that serious? You know, that moment when amidst all the hair blogs, magazines, and YouTube videos, your hair anxiety just poof... Vanishes!

I think my "aha" moment came when I was reading post after post of what's my hair type and why won't my hair do such and such on a natural hair site. I felt a boiling deep down inside-- a cauldron of frustration and ire. How DARE someone even think that their hair type, the one that GOD gave them isn't good enough and how in the world does hair type even matter? After getting ready to type some unsavory comments out of frustration, I settled down and then it came to me. Every natural comes to a cross roads. Either you can continue lamenting about what your hair isn't or embrace what it is. So, I've decided to share some hair love revelations with you.

#1. Love your curl pattern no matter how loose, coily, kinky, or wavy. Your unique hair no matter how many curls, coils, waves, or lack thereof is a part of you. Embrace this unique mixture of DNA that belongs to you.

June 2012-twist out /twirls



#2. Love the length of your hair and embrace what it CAN do. I didn't realize the benefits of having shorter natural hair UNTIL my hair began to gain length and detangling is more challenging. I wish I had enjoyed the shortened sessions instead of lamenting about my  length and longing for longer hair. Be careful what you wish.

June 2012 blow out & curl


#3. Love the versatility of natural hair and try something new. You don't have to use heat in order to change your look. You can gently stretch hair and style it using flexirods, magnetic rollers, or perm rods. Or you can use heat, but just not excessively. Remember to take precautions, such as heat protectant and keeping the appliance on the lowest setting for use on your hair.

Don't get stuck in a rut! Get up and try something different. You might just like it!


July 2012-Flat ironed 


No comments:

Post a Comment