Do Too Much December is HERE.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Fast Growth vs. Slow or No Growth: Are You a Tortoise or a Hare?

Some people say it doesn't matter how fast you run, but whether or not you make it to the finish line. It's funny how we learn as kids that in the case of the race between the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race. You see, our parents and teachers wanted to encourage us that it doesn't matter how fast you finish, but that you finish. Well, the same could apply when it comes to hair growth. And yet, some of us keep trying to compare ourselves to other as if it's some kind of contest. But, how can we can compete with someone else when, well it's biology at work?

I am now 5 years natural. Woohoo!! I celebrate, dance, and pat my fro. And then, I go on some natural's hair blog and she talks about how her hair grows SO fast. Blah, blah, blah! And then, I feel like my fro isn't good enough. Does this sound familiar? Do you watch other naturals wishing your curls could grow faster than a speeding bullet? Hey, curly.. Snap out of it! Your hair is growing at YOUR rate. If you've had hair loss and other set backs, but you've got some hair growing on your head, then clap your hands and pat yourself on the back. STOP thinking your hair growth rate isn't good enough.

September 2011

Remember to celebrate EVERY milestone with pride and joy. Don't minimize the great gains that you have made. Why? Because every gain is moving your closer to your ultimate hair goal. It's just like with any other goal. Begin with the end in mind. If your goal is to grow your hair as long as you can, then stay the course and keep a pic of someone with the hair length that you want. On the other hand, don't lament about why isn't your hair so and so's length or as pretty as such and such. I've been there, done that and I have the medal to prove it.

Feeling sorry for yourself doesn't get you anywhere. I remember turning my back to the mirror and holding up a handheld mirror to look at the bald spot that I had in the center of my head. I cried. Looked at it. Cried some more, then laid down and cried even longer. But, when it was all said and done, I didn't keep crying. I went to the library and checked out books on natural herbs and hair care. I googled natural hair growth remedies and watched YouTube until I thought I'd say "Hello, YouTube" in my sleep. When the going get tough, the tough get growing. Yes, I said growing.


May 2013


Last, but not least keep a hair journal. Why? Because how will you know what you're doing right or what is messing you up if you don't keep track of it. List all of your staple products and the first ten ingredients. Write down every step of your regimen and notice changes (both  positive and negative).

This is a race, but it doesn't matter if you're the lumbering, slow tortoise or the super nimble and quick hare. At the end of the day, people won't know if it took you 1 year to grow a head full of hair or 20 years. You can rock your hair proud at every single length and not feel an ounce of guilt. You can rest assured that if you keep on running the race, then the finish line is in sight.

5 comments:

  1. Raven, you are so right. Everyday I celebrate having hair on my head. I have had a few setbacks, but considering the alternative, I am good with what I have. My hair is growing and is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Juana! If I never have waist length hair, then I'm fine as long as my hair is healthy. It's kind of like the glass half full/half empty scenario. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an encouraging article, Raven! I have had my personal setbacks on my own hair journey, but learning to care for my hair and keeping it healthy take precedence over whether I ever reach WL or not.
    And congratulations on reaching 5 years natural! You can definitely see the difference not only in length, but it thickness, volume, and sheen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kimberlee! Thanks for commenting! As inspirational speaker, Willie Jollie, says "a setback is a set up for a comeback." I think it's priority over pride. Waist length is nice but healthy hair is even better. And we don't always notice the difference from day to day, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Keep taking pics of your hair. Your hair is looking good as well, my fine haired friend!

      Delete