Do Too Much December is HERE.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Summer Afro Style

I've never been a fan of wearing an afro. Although I have natural hair, I'm not an afro enthusiast. Why? Well, wearing an afro to me equates to dry and knots. But, I had always admired the big, fluffy fro reminiscent of Soul Train from back and the day. Those gorgeous fros were nothing short of spectacular. And yet, this article is entitled "summer afro style". How did I get from not wanting to wear and afro to wearing one with pride?




This week I decided to try to style differently. I would wear just hair milk and seal with jojoba oil. My little experiment not only surprised me, but showed me that my hair could do what I thought it wouldn't do.

Afros can be achieved easily on afro textured hair AND without a lot of knots and breakage. I was able to wear my afro proudly and get lots of soft hair without knots.

#1. Cleanse the hair with a sulfate free moisturizing shampoo.

#2. Follow with a conditioner and gently detangle.

#3. "Plop" the hair and wrap it with a soft, white t shirt. Allow it to dry to 70% with NO product.

#4. Add leave-in conditioner and seal with jojoba oil. Why jojoba oil? It is light and mimics the scalp's natural oils.

#5. Use a wide tooth comb to gently comb the hair lifting it.

#6. Before going to bed flat twist the hair in big sections to prevent tangling and knotting.

#7. In the morning undo the flat twists and gently separate.

#8. Spritz with water and add a small dollop of leave-in conditioner. Be sure to do a small amount, so that the hair isn't too moist.

You can wear the afro as is or add accessories to jazz up your style. A flower, headband, or barrett can make your afro fun, flirty, and cute. I prefer to wear my afro as is when I'm just rocking my t-shirt. If I was going on out then, I'd probably add an accessory.

So, there you have it. A simple way to wear an afro without the headache or frustration. It is an easy style and can be done without spending hours on complicated styles.


No comments:

Post a Comment